Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Salary

I was really ashamed to admit that journalist salary in my country is below the average of international journalist.

"Actually how much salary of journalist in your country," my Singaporean friend asked me after the conference in early 2012.

"Not much, but it depends on how establish the media is. For those who've been working for over 5 years, the average about 3-5 million per month," I said.

"Hmm.. the same in Singapore about S$4-5 million a month," he said.

"No, I mean 3-5 millions of rupiahs. Not in Singapore Dollars," I said.

"Seriuosly?" he surprised. I nodded my head yes.

Journalists write about labor wages every year, how labors protest againts the minimum wages, demand higher pay. But sadly they do not focus on their possibility of an increased minimum wage.

When they realized they were in insufficient funds, they do nothing. But in many cases, some of them are tend to be a "brown envelope" journalist or "hand shake" journalist. So who you gonna blame it on this time? There's far less idealism in journalism and we have to admit it.

No comments: